Montessori Philosophy / Methodology
La Maison Montessori practices the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori. The ten decalogues by Dr. Maria Montessori, followed by La Maison are:
Never touch the child unless invited by them (in some form or the other).
Never speak ill of the child in their presence or absence.
Concentrate on strengthening and helping the development of what is good in the child so that its presence may leave less and less space for evil.
Be active in preparing the environment. Take meticulous and constant care of it. Help the child establish constructive relations with it. Show the proper place where the means of development are kept and demonstrate their proper use.
Be ever ready to answer the call of the child who stands in need of you and always listen and respond to the child who appeals to you.
Respect the child who makes a mistake and can then or later correct themselves, but stop firmly and immediately any misuse of the environment and any action which endangers the child, their development or others.
Respect the child who takes rest or watches others working or ponders over what they have done or will do. Neither call them, nor force them to other forms of activity.
Help those who are in search of activity and cannot find it.
Be untiring in repeating presentations to the child who refused them earlier, in helping the child acquire what is not yet their own and overcome imperfections. Do this by animating the environment with care, with restraint and silence, with mild words and loving presence.
Make your ready presence felt to the child who searches and hide from the child who has found.
Always treat the child with the best of good manners and offer them the best you have in yourself and at your disposal.
La Maison Montessori Kingston practices:
- La Maison will have committed and caring leadership;
- La Maison will be a safe place for all;
- La Maison will build character by valuing equity, diversity and inclusiveness;
- Our teachers will be highly qualified and dedicated to meet the needs of all our students;
- We will have low student-teacher ratio to provide additional one-to-one attention;
- La Maison will have strong academics;
- Our families will be very supportive of La Maison and commit to their children’s success.
- Our families will build La Maison community together with us.
- Our students shall behave better;
- Our community will support the growth of the whole child spiritually, academically, physically, socially and to be environmentally responsible.
Want to know more about the Montessori Philosophy?
- North American Montessori Teachers’ Association [NAMTA]
- Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education [MACTE]
- Montessori Connections
- Glossary of Montessori Terms
- Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators [CCMA]
- A Montessori Blog
- Association Montessori Internationale
- Nienhuis Montessori, USA
La Maison Montessori Kingston is not responsible for and may not endorse all of the content of these sites and links listed on the following sites.